Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Friday, July 15, 2011

On a Runner's High


Coming off of the heels of a great 12 mile run last weekend, I had a fantastic short run on Tuesday of this week. I decided to do an early morning run before work, since the first half of this week was so humid you could feel the wetness slap your face when you walked outside. I was just expecting a normal, easy 3-miler, and in fact I was feeling a little sleepy. But when I glanced at my Garmin and saw that I finished my first mile in only 8 minutes, I thought, I have to go for it now!! So I kept up the pace (that I hadn't even realized I was running at) and finished at 24:35...completely shattering my previous 3-mile record of 26:21. And until the end, it was so effortless! I had just made a comment to a friend last week how with all these 3 miles runs I've been getting in, I hadn't been able to beat my previous record that I set back in May--not that I was purposely trying to beat it, but after being over 2 months into the training, you would think it would naturally happen.

Running is strange like that--your best runs are when you have NO expectations and when your pace is in tune with how your body feels.

I must also add that Galloway's Magic Mile predictions are genius. Remember, the idea is that you take your fastest 1-mile time (mine is 7:35) and plug that into his race calculator to predict your times for longer distances. I've already said that his prediction of my half-marathon time was RIGHT on. Here again, he estimates that I would finish a 5K at 25:13, or a pace of 8:08, and if I would have added another .1 to that 3-mile run, that's almost exactly what it would have been! Further assurance that this guy knows what he's talking about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment