Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Looking for a good spinning workout?


One website I frequently use for coming up with ideas for my spinning classes is musicforcycling.com. (Formerly spinfreak.com). I've used tons of their routines and they are generally killer workouts. I decided I would finally share one of my own creations! I did this workout for my Monday "1-Hour Cycle Zone" class back in February.

Note: I used a power music mix made for settings like this, so the tempo of each song was the same. Great for steady hill climbs so you can encourage members not to slip slower than the beat of the song, even as resistance gets higher.

10 mins: Warm-up.
10 mins: Steady hill climb on tempo all in the saddle. Resistance anywhere from 6-8.5, gradually getting steeper as the hill neared the end.
3 mins: Active Recovery. Don't be fooled...ARs aren't exactly a walk in the park. Rather than a full recovery, I gave the participants the first minute all to themselves, i.e. a true recovery, water break, etc. But then the rest of the AR was mine. I made them raise the resistance up to a 7 (moderate incline) then ride at a pace above tempo/beat of the song. They held that until the next hill started, so the good news was that as they once the hill began, they got to decrease both speed and resistance.
12 mins: Hill climb on tempo alternating between seated and standing. Resistance starting at 6, ending at 8.5.
5 mins: AR. First two minutes were true recovery, last 3 were AR.
15 mins: Hill climb on tempo, seated and standing. Since this hill was quite long, I made them do extreme inclines for 1-3 mins (think trudging through mud) followed by another 1-2 mins of a plateau.
5 mins: Cool-down.

Comments after class:
"Did you fail the part of your course work where they talk about recoveries??"
"That was miserable."
"Next time I know when I hear steady tempo (what they call techno) music, I should run away."
"I'm starting to gauge the intensity of my workouts based on how large the puddle of sweat around my bike is."
But, best of all:
"Great workout!"
"Thanks, see you tomorrow!"

It's a sick and twisted profession that I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment