Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Thursday, March 24, 2011

What will YOUR fitness level look like at 74?


http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/42248171#42248171

Part of my morning ritual is having my breakfast and coffee while watching The Today Show. (One of the perks of not going into work until 9:30am!) Today they had an interesting segment on an "Age Suit" designed by researchers at MIT. You can see the video at the link above. The suit was designed to make the person wearing it feel like the age of 74. It had padded shoes that throw off balance, a cord restricting movement and adding compression to the spine, gloves that made gripping objects harder, a brace around the neck limiting range of motion, and even blurry goggles. A Today Show correspondent tried on the suit and was given the task of grocery shopping. He said that not only was it harder to see the grocery list and the items on the shelves, but it was hard to reach any objects that were on high or low shelves. Pretty scary huh?!

The good news is that (with the exception of vision) exercise improves ALL of these things, and can delay the progress of aging "symptoms." Most of us know this, but we don't think that far ahead into the future. I would say people typically wait until their 40s before anti-aging is a real concern, and by then it can sometimes be hard to make up for not doing any regular physical activity for the past 20 years. The general complaint at the fitness center I work at is "I'm getting old," because people devote so much of their 20s and 30s to advancing their careers and starting families, that they take their health and fitness levels for granted.

So, at the risk of sounding like that pesky Mary Kay lady who contantly reminds you you're never too young to start using an anti-aging eye cream, you REALLY can't delay your anti-aging workout routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment