Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Thursday, June 23, 2011

Why I Run


(Picture is from the end of last year's Ft. Ben Harrison half-marathon.) I wrote a similar blog post last year about the benefits of running, mostly from a mental standpoint--i.e. the stress relief, challenge, and "me time." This post is going to be more focused on the physical side, excluding the most obvious ones that everyone would know.

One of the FAQs I get from clients at work is, "So tell me the truth...do I HAVE to run?" Normally this question comes from people who are looking to lose some weight and improve their cardiovascular endurance, who for whatever reason don't enjoy running. The simple answer is no. As long as you are elevating your heart rate through some means of physical activity, and working hard enough to be breathing rapidly and sweating, then you're reaping all the benefits. It can be on an elliptical, swimming, biking, dancing...whatever your favorite is that still keeps you challenged. Now here's the fine print: for the general population, you reach a point where other forms of cardio don't kick up your heart rate the way running does. We fall into the trap of cardio autopilot: go to your favorite machine, flip open a magazine and work out. Now, I see people every day who legitimately keep their heart rate up on machines like ellipticals or arc trainers and they sweat buckets during their workout, but you better believe they are being intentional about keeping up the speed and the resistance--they have to TRY to work hard. With running, there's no trying to keep up your intensity. I've found within minutes you can be in your target heart rate zone, and it generally stays there until the end.

I'll also add onto this part that you have to give running a REAL try. Check out the "Couch to 5K" plan if you think you'll never be able to run--bet you can. Out of all the people who aren't currently runners, how many of those would really say they enjoy running? None. Most will try and give up because a) it's hard! b) it hurts their joints or low back c) they don't have proper footwear or d) they find it boring and can't zone out. I'll admit, it's an acquired taste--and one that I didn't always have either. It takes having good shoes, usually a good playlist, and a commitment to run long enough to feel the endorphins kick in. And at that point, nothing else matters except the fact that you're running.

One benefit I noticed as soon as I picked up running was that my leg muscles became leaner instead of "bigger." I used to be a big fan of kickboxing (I swore by Billy Blanks tae-bo videos during high school and early college), and while that exercise definitely firmed and tightened, I felt that it boosted out my butt--and at that point in time, I didn't need any extra help there! Once I started running around 5 miles at a time my sophomore year of college, I noticed that instead of pumping my legs up, they were becoming sleeker, thinner, but still shapely. Even now, I feel like running still helps define areas like the inner and outer thighs that other modes of cardio don't hit.

Next, running is THE best ab-flattener. Not only is it high-intensity cardio that sheds calories and therefore extra fat, but the slight side-to-side motion that your core makes during running whittles down and defines the entire midsection. My abs are never more flat and toned than when I'm training for a long-distance race. I always do extra core work throughout the week, but with running, it almost eliminates the need to spend any additional time there.

And, while I'm not going into the mental/emotional side of a good run in this post, nothing beats or even compares to the rush. At that moment, I can forget about all stressors--financial, relational, work-related--and know that I accomplished something big and I did it for me.

So, now why do YOU run?? Post your reply!

No comments:

Post a Comment