Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Monday, October 3, 2011

Gel Pack Review

There comes a point in marathon training where you should introduce gel packs. Most people that I talked to who have completed marathons said they never used gels during their training, but then the day of the race they did, so they all recommended using them during training. This way, your body becomes accustomed to them and you know when in your run to take them for the most benefit. I've seen several people even use gel packs during half-marathons--personally I think that's a little unnecessary, but it all comes down to what you need to perform your best.

I usually use mine halfway through a run, and then if I need a second, it's within the last 5 miles or so. The biggest key with gel packs is that you need to take them before you feel like you need them. At that point, it's too late. Not that you won't finish the run, but you would have been better off to not reach the point where your body feels like it's crashing. Gel packs are more or less a preventative measure during a run--keeping your endurance up and replenishing sugar/nutrients in the bloodstream.

Some gel packs have caffeine, so that's one thing to pay attention to. I honestly haven't noticed a difference between the ones that do and the ones that don't, but I'm a coffee drinker, so someone who rarely has caffeine in their diet might notice it more. The best thing is to try a variety of brands, flavors, and caffeine options to try to narrow down which ones you prefer. Interestingly enough, I liked the exact opposite ones that the Blue Mile employee recommended, so that just shows you it all comes down to personal preference. Here's my review so far:


Power Bar: 2-4 out of 5 stars, depending on the flavor. If you're just looking for a good taste, don't go with this brand. I expected with any of the gel packs, I would have a problem with the sticky consistency, but even though this gel was the thinnest in texture, I hated it the first flavor I tried, strawberry banana. Maybe I expected it to be just like yogurt, but it was clear, runny and extremely salty too. I later tried the chocolate and vanilla gels, and they were much better, but still had that salty edge to them. I will say though, that I really feel the effects of this gel pack maybe more than the other brands. They keep me going strong!


Gu Roctane: 3 out of 5 stars. According to Blue Mile, Gu brand is the top-seller. The Roctane line packs a jolt of caffeine. I used it during a 15-mile run where I was feeling so good I didn't think I was going to use the gel at all. Then, about 2 miles later, I hit a wall. It gave me that extra energy I needed. The consistency was about right--not too runny, not too thick. The flavor I tried was vanilla orange, which sounds a little weird, but it tasted like a creamsicle!


Hammer Gel: 4 out of 5 stars. This particular brand is made from all natural ingredients, so if that is important to you, go with the Hammer. The vanilla flavor tasted just like pudding. The consistency was probably the thickest out of all the gels I tried, but it didn't bother me. With ANY of them, you'll want some water to wash it all down. I used this one halfway through my 20-mile run, and it kept me going strong for the next 5 miles. After that, I should have packed one more gel.

No comments:

Post a Comment