Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Sunday, January 8, 2012

Please...give us some REAL advice!!






As a monthly subscriber to Shape magazine, I can say they have several great articles...some of which I've mentioned on this blog. As I was sitting down today to read the January issue, however, I read two things that made me think...really? You call this realistic advice?? Weight loss and other commitments to health are hard enough as it is for the general population, so as fitness professionals and others who give advice, we need to make sure it's not just totally out in left field.

Molly Sims was featured on this month's Shape cover, and in her feature story, she talks about how her physique was not something she was naturally born with. "I have to work out 60 to 90 minutes at least five days a week and stick to a high-fiber, low-calorie eating plan," Sims said (pg. 29). Now that's something I respect. A no-bullshit fitness plan where hard work=great bod. Later though, she mentions some foods that she has swapped out of her diet and replaced with healthier alternatives. Supposedly, instead of ice cream sundaes, she eats frozen yogurt topped with chopped-up calcium chews. Really??? If you're going to splurge, make it a true splurge. Otherwise you will still have the craving. I don't believe calcium chews are one of the topping choices at Huddles...

Next, in the same issue, an article mentions how to beat mindless snacking. They refer to a study where people who ate using their non-dominant hand ate 30 percent less, because using the other hand disrupted the autopilot hand-to-mouth movement. While this is definitely interesting research, don't advise me to eat with my left hand as a real tactic for health and/or weight loss. Talk about inconvenient...and messy when you miss your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment