Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Monday, January 7, 2013

Digging Deep in 2013

When I logged onto my blog today, I realized that my last post has been almost a month ago! My apologies! I'm sure you've all been as busy (or sick with the flu) as I have this holiday season.

So, now that the holidays are over, and sadly, so is the Colts' season, what's next? Well, I think I might be officially insane. It's full-swing back to work for January with all the New Year's resolutioners demanding high-intensity classes, then Mini Marathon training begins on Jan. 30th (more about that in a later post), and to top it off, I have decided to support my husband in his weight loss/health goals by completing the next 60 days of Insanity with him. Yep, insane.


So, my weekly workout schedule is now looking like this (and this is eliminating ALL of my normal workouts aside from the classes I have to teach for my job):

Monday: Morning Insanity workout; 1-hour spin class at lunch; 45-min yoga class at evening
Tuesday: Morning Insanity workout; 1-hour core/BOSU/stability ball class at lunch
Wednesday: Morning Insanity workout; 30-min yoga class at lunch; mini training long run at evening
Thursday: Morning Insanity workout; evening Boot Camp
Friday: Morning Insanity workout (finally...only 1 workout per day!!)
Saturday: Rest or short run or yoga
Sunday: Rest

(We elected not to do the Saturday workouts like the Insanity schedule dictates, in order to avoid burnout. So, although we are completing all 60 days of workouts, it will take us longer than the 9 weeks to finish.)

And, honestly, I should be squeezing in a couple more short runs. Because although I'm doing a crazy amount of exercise, when you don't train specifically for something like an endurance race, you don't have as much success. So, why did I do it at all, you're asking? First and foremost, I'm resolved to do anything and everything to support Chad in his 35-pound weight loss goal. Insanity was his idea (he completed 3/4 of the series a couple summers ago), and he made it clear that I didn't have to do them with him. But, I know how I would feel if I had to get up for an early morning workout while my spouse was still cuddled up in bed. I realize that even though Chad knows how healthy I am, I can't talk the talk at work and not walk the walk at home.

Secondly, I'm doing it out of pure curiosity. I've always made fun of people who get on bandwagons like P90X and Insanity, like they think it's going to be some miracle worker, when just regular exercise and diet could have helped them all along. And, I'll still feel that way. But at least now I'll know exactly what the workouts entail, have more educated answers when people ask about the program, and I'll see how the intensity stacks up to my own boot camps--new ideas! :)

Last night we took our "before" pictures (apparently if you send in B&A pics, you get a free Insanity t-shirt...wooo), we have the training schedule posted in our kitchen like some sort of tacky decor, and we knocked out the first workout this morning. I'll definitely keep posting about how the 60 days are going!

I have a feeling my coffee intake will be on the rise....


No comments:

Post a Comment