Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Monday, May 14, 2012

Taper Week

Ahhh...my favorite week of any race training: tapering. With a job like mine, I guess taper week doesn't look much different than any normal week, because I still teach all of my classes. I think it's more just the satisfaction that all of the long runs, the speed workouts, the weekend running commitments are over, and my only job this week is to get in 2 light runs, hydrate and eat more carbs. Don't have to tell me twice!

 Lately, a few people have told me that they don't really understand "carb-loading." I think one misconception is that you're supposed eat a lot MORE food during days leading up to races. That's not true...rather, it's a replacement of what you would normally eat with more breads, pastas, etc. For instance, the night before a race or any long run, I would have a big plate of spaghetti with marinara sauce and maybe a garlic breadstick versus any other meal that is heavy on the meat, veggies or dairy. It's more of a switch in the percentage of carbs that you should eat, so rather than the standard 55-60% of the daily diet that should be carbohydrates, I probably bump it up to more around 80-85%. I found this website which has an exercise/nutrition plan for the 7 days prior to a competition. I haven't had time to see whether or not this is all scientifcally based, but it's interesting! (It also assumes that you don't have a JOB.) http://www.liftedathletics.com/tag/7-day-carbohydrate-loading/

I had my last Saturday training run this past weekend: a 6 mile which re-confirmed that I don't think I'm set up to beat my old time of 1:57. I started the run at around an 8:40 pace, then about halfway in, my body said no, and I had to slow it down even beyond my standard 9 min/mile. Apparently a 9-min pace is where I'm stuck. And I think that's ok with me. There's nothing magical about a 1:56 half-marathon time as opposed to 1:57. After your time is under 2 hours, the next real milestone, in my opinion is 1:45--and realistically, that's not something I could ever do. Oh, and race day temperature is supposed to be a high of 84. Awesome. My plan is just do enjoy this beautiful scenery:

No comments:

Post a Comment