Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Thursday, May 3, 2012

Embarrassed to say I did this workout...

I admit, last weekend I was looking for any excuse not to do my last speed training run: the 12 rounds of 800 meters, aka 75 minutes of speed work. Between the downpour of rain, going rock-clibming, and working around other plans, I successfully avoided it. However, I bargained with myself that if I did the run on Monday instead (which I did actually do), I would do an exercise video for a change on Sunday so that at least I was doing something. I had heard from friends that Netflix and Hulu had recently added some workout videos and was excited to see the selection...total letdown. The best option was "The Situation Workout: Under Construction: Your Situation." Yep, you guessed it...led by none other than The Situation from Jersey Shore who somehow become famous for his average abs. I have never watched the show, and I find him entirely annoying, but I thought surely this is bound to be a better workout than what I would do on my own on a Sunday morning.

To give credit where it's due, yes it was a good workout, granted the workout itself is the part that The Situation didn't plan. I highly doubt he knew what opposing muscle groups and active recoveries were before filming this. The workout was split into five 15-min segments: Chest/Back/Shoulders, Arms, Legs, Awesome Abs and Situation Abs (of course). I did 3 out of the 5 segments, and the mix of strength and cardio definitely made me work up a sweat and I felt it the next day. But IF I ever do this workout again, it will most definitely be on mute.

Here are some excerpts from The Situation: "Hey ummmm so today we're ummm going to workout and ummm really push it ummm. Here with me is my boy, best friend from college, The Unit. And over here is my girl (who apparently had no other name than "my girl over here"). Now I'm obviously not a fitness professional, but what can I say? (as he points to his abs). I mean you tell me...I don't know (as he shrugs his shoulders, still pointing to his abs). There's never been an exercise video like this. What we're doing here is unorthodox. (When, in fact, it was a very standard format of strength and cardio, two sets, finishing with a superset. And isn't 'unorthodox' a big word for The Sitch?) Let me go over here and see how my girl is doing with these squats (As he proceeds to sit down on the floor and stare at her ass). Now if you can't do full push-ups, you can modify them. (Here was the most ridiculous part where he went over to spot "my girl"...she was doing knee push-ups while he stood above, holding her waist. Was that really necessary?!?) Just do your best, and leave the rest to The Situation." (This was apparently the motto of the series. If you made it a drinking game where you took a shot every time he said this, let's just say you wouldn't make it back off the floor.) Whew. It was exhausting just reliving all that.

And there were other details, like his squat form being horrendous, that a fitness professional would notice. I guess I'm shocked that just anyone out there can create a workout DVD! Consider this my review. Or rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment