Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Runners: Do more than just run!!


I've said this so many times that I sound like a broken record, but it's worth repeating once more. As a runner, the worst thing you can do for your training, for your appearance, for your entire body's systems, is to JUST RUN.

Every now and then, I come across an article that makes the Hallelujah chorus play in my head, and this was one of them. This article perfectly sums up all the pifalls and myths of running. Definitely worth the read: http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/

Since the article explains in detail how just running will NOT shave off fat, will NOT guarantee a slim, sleek physique, and furthermore, will NOT automatically keep your metabolism on the rise, I won't say anything more on those points. What I will say is that strength training needs to become a runner's best friend. Why?

-With extreme amounts of running, i.e. marathon training, you can whittle away at your muscle if you aren't careful. You are burning a lot of calories, and (assuming you don't binge eat) you could very well lose weight. It starts with unnecessary body fat, but make sure that the pounds you may lose during running programs are the right kind. Have your percent body fat measured by a professional, ideally through the skinfold method, underwater weighing, or Bod Pod. Bioelectric impedence (i.e. the machine or scale with the metal strips where you grip it and it spits out a number) is not as accurate. The importance here is to track the breakdown of fat weight versus lean body mass weight. That way, you know the truth behind the pounds on the scale. I personally had my percent body fat tested before the training, halfway through, and 4 days post-marathon. My numbers were: 14.9%, 14.2% and finally, 13.6%--exactly what I was hoping to see. Obviosuly, overweight people should hope to see a decrease in their percent body fat, but with those of us at our ideal body, the goal should be that our percent body fat will either drop slightly or remain equal. My weight was the same each time I tested--there were weeks in between testings where my weight was way under normal for me, but could have been due to dehydration or coming off the heels of a long run. More importantly, the breakdown of my fat pounds versus lean fat pounds stayed the same, meaning I never lost muscle.

-Secondly, strength training = making your muscles stronger = making your muscles faster. All runners, but especially those looking to decrease their race times need to build up all the running muscles (quads, hamstrings, glutes, core). Why don't people grasp this? I have one friend in particular who has completed several half-marathons, always hoping to break 2 hours, but never does. After his last failed attempt, he came to me and said "Ok, I've got to try something new." I told him that strength training was the missing link, and even gave him a program of exercises. Never once saw him do any of them, although he was out running probably twice as much as I was all summer. Guess what...his last half-marathon time was 2:08. What does it take to convince people?

-Last, but certainly not least, resistance training strengthens the joints, and makes them better equipped for running. Stronger hips/knees/ankles and surrounding muscles lead to fewer injuries. Plain and simple.

Runners: if you already know these truths, TELL YOUR FRIENDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment