Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Monday, November 7, 2011

What's Next?


I called my grandma the day after my marathon to fill her in on my news. At the end of the conversation, she said "Are there times where you can just hardly believe how well your life has gone according to plan? You worked hard in college and had several job options waiting for you at graduation. You said you would like to buy a house after two years of renting, and you did. You must be in great health to even think you could sign up for a marathon. Does it all just hardly seem real?" Of course any grandmother thinks their firstborn grandchild can do no wrong, but honestly, she's right. Sometimes I'm amazed at how great I have it. So amazed in fact, that all throughout my life, I've had this lingering scare that something really bad is bound to happen at any point. Don't get me wrong--I've had my fair share of trials to work through, but when I look at people around me, even people within my own family, I've led a charmed life.

Finishing my marathon has been surreal. They say that .1% of the world's population has completed a marathon. (I just checked that stat to make sure it's still true--a recent estimate says that .13% have completed it, but that's not taking into account how many of them were repeats.) Whatever that small percentage is, I've officially joined them. Going back to work today made me feel like a celebrity--all of my clients knew about this weekend, so they asked me about it, then other people overheard and started congratulating me, so I really felt on top of the world.

At the close of a major phase of my fitness life, I am forced to think about what my next goal will be. While I do intend on backing off the running for awhile (just in time for holidays and colder weather!), I need to guard myself against staying in that downtime for too long. While my job certainly keeps me in shape, that alone won't cut it.

Triathlons have never appealed to me, mainly because of the swimming aspect. My idea of swimming is a quick dip just to cool off in the middle of a sunbathing session. There is also so much equipment involved in triathlons--wet suits, road bikes, etc. Things like mudathlons, urbanathlons and adventure races don't really peak my interest either, although I think they are very cool things. I'm just a runner at the core.

I've mentioned that I would like to start running other half-marathons either in different states or other ones in Indiana that I haven't done yet. I've officially decided I'm not running the Mini this May. While it is a major attraction for runners, after 3 times, it gets old. There are more exciting races I would rather spend time and money on. I want to map out my runs for 2012, almost making them into trips, and possibly planning other fun things in those particular cities. I would like to improve upon my half-marathon time, as well. An 8:30 pace will be my new goal for that distance.

The biggest goal for anyone's fitness is simply to have a goal. Realistic, specific, measurable, time-bound goals. It doesn't have to be anything crazy--maybe 5 real push-ups on your toes. Or running a race as small as the Drumstick Dash 2.3 mile version. Make a goal. Don't be stagnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment