Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Wednesday, November 2, 2011

T-Minus 2 days, 14 hours, 37 minutes, 39 seconds


Before you think I'm neurotic, I got that time off the race countdown clock on the Monumental's website. :)

I can't decide if I think the past 26 weeks of marathon training went by fast or slow. To think that I started back in May, right after the Mini, makes it seem like I've been training forever. I feel the same way when I think about all those runs in the hot, humid summer months. But then, to think that November has arrived, and the marathon is in THREE days? Crazy!

So the question of the week from everyone is "Are you ready for Saturday?" My definitive answer is YES! I know that I have followed a set training program, written by a pro-marathoner to a tee (almost--with the exception of the 26-miler). There were a couple weeks where I may have skipped out on one of 3 mile runs, but usually because I was doing some other form of equally strenuous exercise. I even ran during my two vacations--if that's not discipline, I don't know what is! Aside from following the training program, I've already posted about how I breezed through my 23 mile run, so that eliminates the question of can I physically run 26 miles. I can't guarantee how fast I'll be, but that's true for any run on any given day.

The stars are even aligning to the point that the weather forecast for Saturday is a high of 62 and sunny! Which means that the morning temps will in the 50's or so, and perfect for a run. I'll just bring a few layers of clothes and peel them off and toss them on the side of the road as needed. I secretly find some weird pleasure in doing that---it's just a freeing feeling to rip of a sweatshirt, "litter" it in the street and run away.

I will say that the reality of running 26 miles hit me hard when I looked at the race route. I almost wish I had never opened the file. The starting point is downtown at West and Washington--same as the mini. From there, we run south towards Lilly campus, back north to Monument Cirle, then on the Mass Ave cultural trail, then up north to Broad Ripple (practically passing my house), THEN instead of going straight back downtown, we run west to the IMA and finally back to the start/finish line. Hence why it's called the Monumental Marathon--passing all the major sites in Indy.

I decided to take this Friday off work. I had a "bonus day" I had to use anyway, so I thought what better time than the day right before the marathon? That way, I can sleep in to feel well-rested and spend the day hydrating, picking up my race packet, stocking up on some gel packs, etc. I'll be sure to check-in with one more post before race day!

No comments:

Post a Comment