Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Friday, May 13, 2011

Making a Dent in the Ol' Bucket List


Do one thing every day that scares you. Just did...signed up for the Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis on November 5, 2011. I had told practically everyone in my life that I was seriously considering doing this marathon, but it takes that extra leap of faith to actually click the "register" button. After 4 successful half-marathons (3 running, 1 walking) I've forgotten that feeling of not being entirely sure that I can even complete the race! Anything beyond 13.1 miles is unfamiliar territory for me. But, I always tell my clients, once you get comfortable with something, it's time to change it up!

I actually feel relieved knowing that I'm officially registered and it's on my calendar. Now I can start my training plan with certainty. I decided to follow Jeff Galloway's marathon training program-- the version designed for those trying to finish the race, not shoot for a time goal. Obviously, being a virgin marathoner, I have no idea what my finish time will look like. This particular program of Galloway's is 30 weeks long. Since we're currently only 26 weeks out from race day, I'm starting in on Week 4 of the training program, which means I'm due for a 6 mile run this weekend. Galloway suggests getting in two separate 30 minute runs as well as an easy walk during the week, then doing a progressively longer run on the weekend. He actually advises doing the full 26 miles on Week 26 of the training program, but I don't plan on doing the entire length until race day. Isn't that part of the thrill?? Besides, after having a bad bout with IT band syndrome 3 years ago, I don't intend on setting myself up for any overuse injuries.

The tricky part for me is finding time in the week to do the short runs. With my physically demanding work schedule of teaching group fitness, there's really no good time to fit it in. Here's my anticipated weekly schedule:

Monday: 60 min spin class; followed by my own 30 mins of upper body and core strength; 60 mins of yoga after work (I've started doing in-home sessions for a husband/wife couple, and they are both the type of people that like me to do the poses along with them, so they can watch my body placement)
Tuesday: 45 min spin class; workout night with Chad (usually consists of 30 minutes of tennis or outdoor bike riding in the summer)
Wednesday: I don't normally teach any group fitness on Wednesdays, unless I'm needed as a sub here and there. This could potentially be a 30 minute running day.
Thursday: 45 mins stability ball strength class; 60 mins boot camp (depending on the day or the class format, I sometimes do parts of the class along with the participants. More often than not, in the summer I strictly instruct, because we are outdoors and things tend to be more chaotic.) This also, could become a day designated to a 30-minute run on my lunch break.
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Long run (that way, if I don't get it in due to travel, plans, rain, etc. I still have Sunday as a back-up.)
Sunday: Rest

We'll see how it all pans out. There may be some shifting around as I get into the groove of training and being more disciplined with my running schedule. Running a marathon has been on my life's to-do list since I was in high school. Not quite sure what inspired me to put it on there in the first place, since I was FAR from being a runner at that point in my life. With each recent year though, I know it's something that I have to do. This probably sums it up the best: When I went to pick up my packet for the Ft. Ben Harrison half-marathon last fall, Chad asked me if I was going to buy one of those bumper stickers that say 13.1. I looked at him like it was a ridiculous question and said, "No. Because they make ones that say 26.2."

2 comments:

  1. Impressive. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, Mechelle! I can't wait to hear about your progress and training. Thanks for posting your workout schedule to motivate me to get back to your classes. I've gone all flabby with running only. I love your last sentence!

    ReplyDelete