Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Think Before you Nip and Tuck!


http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=143968

One of my clients recently alerted me to this article, and I saw it again posted on the NIFS website...pretty shocking stuff. Some recent studies have proven that patients who have had liposcution eventually see the fat return to the body. But not in the same place where they had it removed...it returns higher up in the body, for instance in the abdomen or arms. Who wants to trade chubby thighs for chubby arms?! And then what do you do...keep getting liposuction on the new areas until the only place the fat has to return is in your cheeks?

Two plastic surgeons mentioned in the article pointed out the limitations of this study saying that not enough studies have been done yet to assume this is true for all lipo patients. However, even the surgeons made these statements: "Liposuction can be a very gratifying operation but it's not a substitute for diet and exercise," and "Liposuction should serve as a springboard to a healthier lifestyle."

Obviously, there are some great reasons for plastic surgery--reconstruction after an accident, or eliminating extra skin after a large amount of weight loss (think "Biggest Loser" contestants on week 15). I have a client who has finally decided on having a breast reduction, and I could not be more thrilled. Not only does she deal with the typical back pain all throughout her day, but she is inhibited during exercises such as dead lifts, push-ups, crunches, etc. But, if you think liposuction is a fix for being overweight or for resolving any underlying self-esteem issues, you thought wrong.

I know some people around my age who make comments like "Oh, I will TOTALLY have a mommy-makeover after kids," meaning the whole tummy tuck, breast lift, etc. It's always a personal decision, and I wouldn't judge friends of mine for doing that, but with the industry I'm in, it's just NOT an option. Not only would my clients stop taking me seriously when I talk about how exercise can transform the body, but I wouldn't feel right about the decision myself. I work hard for results, and want to konw that what I see in the mirror is 100% me.

No comments:

Post a Comment