Reflections on living fit

As a growing, reflective health professional who has committed my life to the love of fitness, it is my hope that you can read and share my triumphs and struggles, as I aim to better my own body and change my small part of the world. Catch the energy; move more today than you did yesterday; inspire someone...just BeFit with me.















Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Words of Wisdom from Jillian


Most of you know that Jillian Michaels is my role model. It started out just because of how awesome she was on the Biggest Loser, totally whipping her contestants into shape with a don't-question-me attitude. I've started to admire her more each year though, because she's just so REAL. If you watch the show you know that she does more than yell and demand. As a life coach, she has a true passion for uncovering all the deeper issues in a person that made them obese to start with--and really, unless you're getting to the root of the problem, what good are we doing in the fitness industry? She has a new book out called "Unlimited: How to Build an Exceptional Life." While I haven't read it yet, I definitely plan on it. I'm excited to see her take on whole body wellness as opposed to some of her earlier books that spoke just to exercise and nutrition.

Example A of how Jillian is just so down to earth: In this May's issue of Shape magazine, she talks about how even SHE has trouble spots on her body. "There's this one dimple on the back of my butt that's like a cavern. I swear to you, it's un-friggin'-believable! No matter how thin I get, I still have cellulite. I've tried every cream. I've ironed my ass at the plastic surgeon's office with a laser--nothing worked. I've finally reached a point where I accept my flaw, but that doesn't mean I feel good about it." Really?! It's so reassuring to hear this from Jillian Michaels, world-renowned trainer, someone that most people would agree has a rock solid body, and is just plain hot (can I say that?). Did you all also catch that there are NO magic pills or creams for cellulite!!

Being a pear-shape, I used to hate my entire lower body, but after losing 18 pounds and several percents of body fat since college, I've gotten to the point where I can honestly say I like my legs and butt. And not just for being strong or carrying me through a half-marathon, but because I actually like how they look in my skinny jeans. Still...there's those trouble zones. I always thought that if I lost a certain percent of body fat, or did a few more squats each day that I could eliminate the inner thighs or that area right beneath the butt cheek (you all know what I'm talking about!)...but I guess the bottom line is that EVERYBODY carries fat in certain pockets, and it's just going to be there....so get over it.

I think being 97% confident in a swim suit is pretty darn good!! And I can only assume that Jillian would say the same thing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment